Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Unexpected Blessings

One of the most overwhelming parts of moving to Beijing has been setting up my apartment. It had the basic furniture, but I have to get everything else. On the surface that does not sound so bad, but in reality it is much different from setting up house in the US. Always to be considered How much can I carry by myself? Am I taking a bus home or a taxi? Can I explain to a taxi driver how to get to my apartment?(Not if I don't have a Chinese speaking friend with me!) Do I have bags to carry stuff in, or do I need to buy bags? And most difficult, where do I find what I need?

Little by little I have been purchasing and moving in. But many of the big expensive things I have not bought, mostly due to the inconvenience of getting them to my apartment and because of the cost. One item I need is an air purifier, but they are very expensive. Several times recently I have looked at mattress pads for on top of the very hard Chinese bed I am sleeping on, but for some reason I kept waiting....

Today after school my 5th grade teammate and I decided to go to Peters TexMex for dinner. I think we were both longing for a little comfort food from the states. As we walked in the door, two of the teachers from the high school waved and invited us to join them. As we were chatting someone asked where I was from. As I said "South Carolina," I noticed the man at the table next to me sit up and take notice. He asked where in SC, and I said Greenville. "We are from Pickens he said" pointing at himself and his wife. We chatted a moment, then I went back to my burger and fries and the school folks I was talking to.

Later on in the meal the man began talking to me again, asking how long I had been here, what I was doing, etc. Well, it turns out that he and his wife are returning to the states after being here for three years. They have purchased an air purifier, a mattress cover, lots of kitchen materials, sheets, etc. that they would like to give me! I was a bit flabbergasted as they offered me all these items. What a humbling experience! What a sweet blessing! It feels so good to know and understand that I am being taken care of in such a special way. Near the end of the conversation, after exchanging phone numbers, he said, "I believe some meetings are Divine encounters." I have to wholeheartedly agree!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

how cool...Never give up on God...He just delights in blessing us!

Holeigh said...

What a wonderful praise. Isn't it wonderful to see how the Lord works in our lives to bring glory to His name. Thanks for sharing!

Ange B. said...

Wow! That gave me goosebumps - I am always amazed at the faithfulness of the Lord! I am so glad you have the things that you needed!

Mel at Adventures of Mel said...

Wow, that is awesome! It's amazing how the Lord works, in mysterious ways.:) That just reestablishes that you are never alone, no matter where you are.:)

Anna said...

Wow Donica that is so awesome and brought tears to my eyes!! It reminds me of how big God is - you are so far away and yet He is still right there with you, taking care of you. That is just AWESOME!!!