Saturday, September 27, 2008

International Family Day

Yesterday and today we celebrated the different nationalities represented at our school. Friday students were allowed to come to school dressed in either traditional dress or patriotic clothing to represent their country. I did not come to China prepared for this, so I wore my Pittsburgh Steelers t-shirt. What could possibly be more American than football? (Well, I always have to call it American football here as most of my students call soccer football.) It was sooo much fun seeing all the students dressed up and having pride in their countries as well as an appreciation for other nationalities. We had a parade around the Hotel grounds and ended on the Basketball court to take pictures.

This morning we went to the high school campus for the International family day. I did not know what to expect, but it turned out to be so much fun. Each country represented by our school staff and students was represented. I ate food from at least 10 different countries. I was a little disappointed in the American room for as many people we have at the school. We had a little craft the kids could make, a jeopardy game, a voting booth, and a bake sale. The Canada room was awesome. They every conceivable activity related to Canada. I definitely have ideas for improving the American room for next year. My friend Diane and I were brainstorming all day about what we can do next year. But for this year, I really enjoyed learning about the cultures of so many countries. It struck me that all of us from so many countries have a single bond in HIM! It is so cool that He can link so many people together in such an amazing way. I continue to be incredibly grateful that I have the opportunity to be in this place, teaching at this school.

No comments: