Monday, September 15, 2008

Busy Weekend

This weekend was full of fun and adventure for this traveling girl. I finally feel settled in my apartment and into the swing of things at school. Miracle of miracle's I am even at this point caught up on my grading. So, last Friday I was looking forward to a long weekend of fun. Saturday I had an opportunity to visit two well known tourist attractions in Beijing. The Temple of Heaven and The Pearl Market.

I can't help comparing this culture to my own way of life. About half the time, I am left scratching my head at what seems to me so very strange, and half the time, I am left wishing that things in the US wer a little more like they are here. As we entered the park around the Temple of Heaven, there were Chinese people all over the place enjoying the outdoors. There were people playing games, exercising (the Chinese way) and lots of performers everwhere. My natural reaction was to assume that these performers (singers, dancers, and musicians) were trying to make a little money for their labors (August Rush is fresh in my mind.) However, these people were jsut singing, dancing, and playing for the sheer joy of performing and entertaining those around them. The Temple of Heaven was beautiful. The detail to the buildings was amazing. Most of it was built before the Western Hemisphere had been discovered by Columbus, so the history of it was amazing.

After visiting the Temple, we went to eat at famous Beijing restaurant. Can't remember the name, but it very much put me in mind of the Beacon in Spartanburg, SC. There was not as much grease in the food, but the yelling between staff members and noise level were about the same. I moved up to a new level in the world of chopsticks by attempting noodles. It was messy to say the least.

Next came the Pearl Market. Girls, you can't imagine this place without actually seeing it. The piles of pearls were indescribable. Thankfully Sri was with us and pointed us in the direction of a reliable salesperson, otherwise I would not have had a clue what I was doing. But with his guidance, I was able to purchase several things to send home in Christmas packages:) The Pearl Market is definitely going to be on my list of favorite things!

Monday, today, was a Chinese holiday, so I was able to enjoy some Paraolympic games. I am sad that the games are not getting more coverage around the world than they are. I was amazed by the strenght and determination of the athletes I watched today. It seems to me that they should be even more recognized than our amazing Olympic athletes. I watched blind men long jump, People without legs race in wheelchairs, and men and women with all types of disabilities overcome tremendous difficulties to go for the gold. I was so impressed with their incredible perseverence through hardship. I felt honored to get to be a part of it.

Well, that's all for now. Back to work tomorrow, but I am definitely looking forward to more adventures in the near future.

No comments: